Who are we?
We are Bradford Citizens.
Currently made up of six Bradford based school trusts: Dixons Academies Trust, Beckfoot Trust, Bradford Diocesan Academies Trust, Exceed Academies Trust, Priestley Academy Trust and Co-op Academies Trust, and Born in Bradford, our alliance was born out of the successful Schools Pandemic Recovery Summit held in March 2021 to allow young people to share their pandemic experiences and discuss how they wanted to rebuild Bradford post-pandemic.
Together, we run campaigns that amplify young people’s voices. Our work is centred around the issues that are most important to them and their families, connecting them to people in power to make real change in our communities.
Founded in 2021, we may be young, but we are making our mark. So far we have:
- Launched the successful Pandemic Recovery Summit, refining big picture problems that young people care about into specific asks for decision makers
- Seen commitment to change from decision makers, including from the mayor of West Yorkshire who committed to have young people involved in her policy making committee
- Presented to 300 local and national policymakers, resulting in an ask to the leader of the council’s office to input directly into decisions affecting them
- Run a number of listening campaigns across all of our schools to allow young people the opportunity to put forward their ideas on change
- Run a number of follow up workshops to turn these ideas into tangible action
- Secured a commitment from Bradford Council’s Health and Wellbeing Board to work with us to fill the gaps in Mental Health provision in schools across the District.
What are our priority campaigns?
As a result of our listening campaigns, we have identified three core themes of importance to our young people to explore further:
- Cost of living for young people and their families
- Mental health of young people
- Racism, experienced both inside and outside school
We are running meetings and workshops to deepen our understanding of these areas and what our young people would like to see change. We have also identified who in our area has the power to make changes and have engaged them in these issues.
- Co-op Academies Trust
- Dixons Academies Trust
- Beckfoot Trust
- Bradford Diocesan Academies Trust
- Exceed Academies Trust
- Priestley Academy Trust
- Born in Bradford research programme
WANT TO JOIN US?
We know everyday people have the ability to shape the world around them and we're always looking for new members to join us!
Find out more about the benefits of becoming a Citizens UK member.
Get in touch with our local Community Organisers Graham Brownlee (email@example.com) or Phil Sage (firstname.lastname@example.org) to hear updates from our us.