Greater Manchester Citizens
Greater Manchester Citizens
Who are we?
We are Greater Manchester Citizens, a Citizens UK Chapter. 250,000 people form our alliance from mosques, churches, synagogues, trade unions, schools, universities and faith groups.
Together, we organise to tackle injustices in our local communities.
Since our founding in 2016, we have campaigned to:
- Make the University of Manchester become a Living Wage accredited employer.
- Received ongoing support from Mayor Andy Burham and the Police and Crime Commissioner for our Misogyny Is Hate campaign.
- And much more!
What are we fighting for?
The priority issues voted on by members in our community include::
- Ending child poverty in our communities.
- Fair work, including a real Living Wage for workers.
- Mental health support.
- Clean air for local people.
Our Greater Manchester Mayoral Assembly - 2021
Before the COVID-19 pandemic, we carried out an extensive listening campaign to unpack top civil society priorities for the Greater Manchester regional elections in 2020. Then the pandemic struck, postponing the elections to 2021. We adapted our focus to fighting the spread of the virus & responding to arising community issues. Now Mayoral elections in Greater Manchester will be held in May of this year, and we are seeking accountability from the candidates on issues surrounding fair work and child poverty, mental health, and clean air and transport.
On Tuesday 27th April 2021 at 6pm, amidst celebrating our institutions and sharing powerful stories, communities from across our membership will assemble together online to share specific asks to the Mayoral candidates invited to make pledges on reducing poverty, improving mental health, and reform our transport and environment.
Join communities from across Greater Manchester to seek specific pledges on our priorities from the following candidates in this May’s elections:
Please read our basis for candidate invitations here.
This is not a public hustings event. If you are from a member organisation or have been sent a specific invitation as a guest, join us then online for what will be a moving evening of communities acting for the common good in our region.
Leaders from member institutions can register using the below form.
- Human Appeal
- Unison North West
- Petrus Community
- Catholic Diocese of Salford
- Caritas Salford
- University of Manchester Students Union
- Cheadle Mosque
- Levenshulme High School
- Manchester Reform Synagogue
- Khizra Mosque
- Manchester Vineyard
- Manchester & Stockport Methodist District
- Manchester Central Foodbank
- Universities Catholic Chaplaincy
- Manchester Islamic High School for Girls
- Caritas Shrewsbury
- Manchester Unison
- Salford Unison
- Stockport Unison
- Oldham Unison
- Tameside Unison
- Bury Unison
- Bolton Metro Unison
- Trafford Unison
- Transport for GM Unison
- NW Ambulance Service Unison
- Salford Health Unison
- GM Mental Health Unison
- Manchester University Healthcare Unison
- Wigan and Leigh Health Unison
- Bridgewater Unison
- Rabbi Robyn – Manchester Reform Synagogue
- Conor McGurran – UNISON North West
WANT TO JOIN OUR CHAPTER?
We’re always looking for new members! Get in touch with one of our local Community Organisers using the form below.
Find out more about the benefits of becoming a Citizens UK member.