WHO ARE WE?
We are Merton Citizens, a local alliance part of South London Citizens made up of 15 local member organisations from across the borough, including schools, religious institutions and non-profit organisations that work together towards a common purpose.
Check out the Merton Citizens member institutions on this map.
Since our founding in 2018, we have:
- Campaigned for local authorities to shift £1.85m of their budget towards mental health services, particularly for children and adolescents
- Resettled refugee families through the Community Sponsorship scheme and campaigned for the council to join the Lift the Ban Coalition
- Made Merton Council commit to becoming an accredited Living Wage employer
- Worked with Merton Council on an empathy-first training to be delivered by YMCA residents with experience of homelessness
WHAT ARE WE FIGHTING FOR?
Based on listening to communities from across Merton, we have democratically elected the following priorities:
- Housing – Affordable, good-quality housing is a priority for us, and we have been organising to improve housing standards as well as provide more affordable and social housing in the borough. More recently, we have also focused on improving the relationship between the council and those in housing need.
- Mental Health – Born out of the stories of students at Wimbledon College and St Mark’s Academy, Merton Citizens fostered a relationship with South West London St George’s mental health trusts that grew into a South London-wide initiative, South London Listens. Today, we focus on equipping local mental health champions and institutions to listen and take action around mental health.
- Welcome – Our focus is on ensuring Merton is a welcoming place to migrants, refugees and asylum seekers, primarily by pushing the council to become a Borough of Sanctuary.
- Living Wage – We are holding the council to account on their commitment to become an accredited Living Wage employer, and hope to work with them to encourage other local businesses to do the same.
To learn more about the changes we are organising for in the borough, check out our 2022 manifesto.
WANT TO JOIN OUR ALLIANCE?
We know everyday people have the ability to shape the world around them and we're always looking for new members to join us! Please get in touch with your local organiser: email@example.com.
You can learn more about the benefits of becoming a Citizens UK member.
KEEP IN TOUCH
South London news, stories and updates
Migrant Community leaders call for equal access to NHS services
South London Listens and Doctors of the World hosted an online Safe Surgeries Summit on removing barriers to primary healthcare access for migrants.Read more
Building Better Futures: Enabling young people in Lambeth to thrive
Lambeth Citizens and King’s College London have undertaken a listening campaign to identify the barriers to a better future for Lambeth’s young people. The listening has informed recommendations for the Council to act on and improve social mobility for the community.Read more