Who are we?
We are Leeds Citizens, a Citizens UK Chapter.
Our alliance is formed of faith, education and community organisations, working together for the common good of Leeds.
Together we run campaigns that build relationships across diverse communities, get decision makers to listen to local people and win change.
Since our founding in 2015, we have had many campaign successes, including:
- Living Wage pay rises for staff at Leeds City Council and other employers.
- New primary care mental health services, improved dementia care for BAME communities.
- Road safety measures in our local community.
- Over £500,000 worth of housing estate repairs and improved rubbish collections in the Beckhills estate.
What are our priority campaigns?
The priority issues we are working on in 2020/21 are:
- Catholic Care
- Leeds Church Institute
- Leeds Methodist District
- Leeds Trinity University
- The Diocese of Leeds (Catholic)
- The Diocese of Leeds (Church of England)
- Beeston Festival
- Burmantofts Community Projects
- Carlton Hill Local Quaker Meeting
- Chapel Allerton Methodist Church
- Christ Church, Upper Armley
- Connecting Crossgates
- Ghousia Masjid
- Hamara Healthy Living Centre
- Ingram Road Primary School
- Jamyang Buddhist Centre
- Leeds Diocesan Justice & Peace Commission
- Leeds Muslim Youth Group
- Moortown Baptist Church
- New Testament Church of God - Leeds
- New Wortley Community Association
- Path Yorkshire
- Roscoe & Trinity Methodist Churches
- St Bartholomew's Church, Armley
- St Luke's CARES
- St Luke's Church, Holbeck
- St Mary's Church, Beeston
- St Matthew's Church, Chapel Allerton
- Stainbeck United Reformed Church
- The Parish of Blessed John Henry Newman
- The Parish of Mother of Unfailing Help
- Life Experience
- Cottingley Community Centre
- Amazing Grace Christian Centre
- The Rt Paul Slater, Bishop of Kirkstall, Diocese of Leeds
- Dr Ann Marie Mealey, Leeds Trinity University
- John Battle, Leeds Diocesan Justice & Peace Commission
WANT TO JOIN OUR CHAPTER?
We’re always looking for new members! Get in touch with one of our local Community Organisers using the form below.
Find out more about the benefits of becoming a Citizens UK member.
Keep in touch
News, stories and updates
5 steps to sponsor an Afghan refugee family through Community Sponsorship
The Government has announced that we can now welcome and settle Afghan refugees through the Community Sponsorship scheme. This is a great chance for you to work with your neighbours and be directly involved in resettling a refugee family to your neighbourhood.Read more
'Iron Rule - Never do anything for anyone that they can do for themselves!'
Working with seven other institutions, Jamiatul Islam School delivered the 'safer park for all' campaign, providing a powerful and inclusive platform for the pupils, parents, staff and the community to air concerns and lead with their ideas. This gave power to all to instigate and preserve lasting change.Read more