Who are we?
We are Leeds Citizens, a Citizens UK chapter.
Around 30 organisations form our alliance from across the city. Since 2013, we have won on the Living Wage (securing the real living wage for all directly employed Council staff, an investment of £13.2 million), mental health navigators in GP surgeries, deep listening across local communities and with developers around South Leeds (South Bank development). In the last year, we secured investment in local parks and footpaths as part of our local green campaigns. Our representation is strong citywide and we work together to drive change on the issues our local communities care about most.
Since our founding in 2015, we have:
- Successfully campaigned and won a real Living Wage for staff at Leeds City Council and other employers.
- Influenced the introduction of mental health liaison practitioners in GP surgeries across Leeds.
- Improved dementia care for racialised communities.
- Won improved road safety measures in our local community.
- Secured over £500,000 worth of housing estate repairs on the Beckhills Estate.
- Improvements of £50,000 to Brickfield Park including play equipment.
- Campaigned to win improved rubbish collections in the Beckhills estate.
- Campaigned for a real Living Wage for care workers.
- And much more!
What are our priority campaigns?
The priority issues we are working on are:
- Improving Bus transport across the city
- Building six neighbourhood teams in the city to campaign for change at a local level
- Student Union campaigning
- Developing an organising approach to community policing training
- Schools action on safety, mental health, racism and the cost of living
- Developing community organising amongst communities experiencing injustice – Roma communities, sex workers and young people in local neighbourhoods
- Connecting with Citizens UK's leaders across the North of England for a stronger voice and to build power
- Carr Manor Community School
- Co-op Academy Trust
- Leeds Church Institute
- Leeds Methodist District
- Leeds Trinity University
- The Diocese of Leeds (Catholic)
- Beeston Festival
- Carlton Hill Local Quaker Meeting
- Chapel Allerton Methodist Church
- Chapel FM
- Christ Church, Upper Armley
- Connecting Crossgates
- Cottingley Community Centre
- Dixons Trinity Chapeltown
- Friends of Cottingley Community Centre
- Leeds Beckett University Students' Union
- Leeds Conservatoire
- Leeds Diocesan Justice & Peace Commission
- Leeds Muslim Youth Group
- St Luke's Church, Holbeck
- St Mary's Church, Beeston
- St Matthew's Church, Chapel Allerton
- Stainbeck United Reformed Church
- Tenants and Residents Association of Cottingley Hall (TRAC)
WANT TO JOIN OUR CHAPTER?
We know everyday people have the ability to shape the world around them and we're always looking for new members to join us!
Find out more about the benefits of becoming a Citizens UK member.
Get in touch with our local Community Organisers, Becky Howcroft (email@example.com), Graham Brownlee (firstname.lastname@example.org), Gemma Gates (email@example.com) or Phil Sage (firstname.lastname@example.org) and fill out our form below to hear updates from our Chapter.