TELCO’s Annual Meeting and Awards event was a powerful moment for reflection, celebration, and call to action on important social justice issues for communities in east London. Click to find out more.
“Communities must be created and cared for. They must be tended like gardens.
They rise and fall on the dreams of people within them”
TELCO’s Annual Meeting and Awards event was a powerful moment for reflection, celebration, and call to action on important social justice issues for communities in east London.
Hosted by the University of East London, nearly 100 TELCO leaders attended the meeting to celebrate campaign wins, and to recognise leaders, institutions and campaign teams who’ve played a key role in delivering change in east London as part of the Awards.
The TELCO Awards for Social Justice were:
- New Campaign of the Year - Hackney Citizens for the Fair Energy Mark Tower Hamlets Impact Team of the Year– Tower Hamlets Citizens - QMCitizens, Queen Mary University
- Youth Action Team of the Year – St. Bonaventure’s; St. Angela’s; Newham Sixth Form College & Shpresa Programme,
- Action of the Year – Waltham Forest Assembly
- Campaign Team of the Year – Redbridge Housing Team
- School of the Year – All Saints Catholic Secondary School, Barking & Dagenham
- Lifetime Achievement awards - Bernadette Harris, St Thomas of Canterbury and David Mensah, from Bryant Street Methodist
In the coming year, TELCO leader are committed to training more leaders to act collectively to bring ‘East London as it is’ to ‘East London as it should be’ on issues which matter most to our organisations – Health; Youth Violence; Affordable Housing; Living Wage; Rogue Landlords; Homelessness; Jobs and Opportunities for young people; Air Pollution; and Affordable Energy