What’s on offer for families
We run weekly MumSpace groups for parents with babies and toddlers. They offer a space for children to play and parents to socialise. Each week we discuss and share relevant issue for parents. We also signpost parents to the practical services they need. Above all we are a welcoming and friendly group run by parents for parents. Please contact Kate Traynor for info on 07821447526 or email@example.com
- Monday 11am-1pm at Pembroke House, 80 Tatum Street, SE17 1QR.
- Tuesday 1-3pm at St Michael’s and All Angels, Wyndham Road, SE5 0UB
- Fridays 10am-12noon at Camberwell Salvation Army, 105 Lomond Grove, SE5 7HG
If you have any Spanish speaking families then you can invite them along to our Espacio Mama group. This is a place where they can meet other Spanish-speaking parents, gain information and support and also learn relevant English skills for parenthood. The group meets on Fridays from 12.30-2pm at Camberwell Salvation Army, 105 Lomond Grove, SE5 7HG. Please refer families to our Spanish-speaking parent organiser Grace Romero on 07561070518 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Parent University is an antenatal and postnatal course for pregnancy to 18 months. The course has been co-designed by midwives, health visitors and mums in our project to ensure that parents get the most important information they need to give their babies the best start in life and to look after themselves. Course sessions are on a rotating basis normally on Mondays from 1-3pm. Please get in touch with Dayo Odude our Early Intervention Health Visitor for more information on 07766307409 or email@example.com
You can refer struggling families to the Baby Bank to receive support with practical items they need like baby clothing, cots, buggies, blankets and more. Please call or tell them to come along on Tuesday, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9.30am-12.30. Call Janet Martin on 07817 489982 for more information.
Following consultation with several local dads we are launched our DadSpace group in December 2017. The first group meets monthly on the first Saturday of every month 11am-1pm at the Art Block, Lakanal House, Sceaux Gardens, SE5 7DP. It will be a space for babies and toddlers to play and for local dads to meet, share and receive information on issues such as bonding with your baby, safety, parenting and many more. Please contact Grace Romero for more information on 07561070518 or firstname.lastname@example.org
These are parents who volunteer for a few hours a week, to talk with other parents inside the community institution of which they are a member, e.g. their church, their mosque, or their estate. As a parent and a member of your community, you are more approachable for other parents in your institution, and can chat more informally with them than outsiders sometimes can. As a friendly face in the community, you can also help to identify those mums who seem like they might need extra support, and you can help to make sure they get it by referring them into services available locally.
How does it work?
The parent champion has three main responsibilities:
1. To identify all pregnant women or mums with children aged 0-2 inside their institution, and to meet and greet them to let them know that they are available to listen and provide basic advice and support.
2. To identify those mums who might benefit from additional support, and if appropriate refer them into other relevant services. These could include:
* Services run by PACT (MumSpace, Parent University, Baby Bank)
* Statutory services (Children’s Centres, free childcare providers, domestic violence services)
* Other sources of support available locally, e.g. for parents without recourse to public funds, due to immigration status.
3. To be a champion for the support of parents within their institution, for example by running information sessions about services available locally, or by running events to start a conversation about how their institution could work to support families in the community.
The current PACT Parent Champion Network is made up of:
Barakah Educational and Cultural Association (BECA Masjid)
D'eynsford Estate Tenant Management Organisation (Camberwell)
For more information, please get in touch with Dayo Odude our Early Intervention Health Visitor 07766307409 or email@example.com
Together with Southwark member groups of Citizens UK many of your parents are involved in campaigning for high quality affordable housing across London.
We also have a team of parents who have also been meeting to discuss how their GP surgeries could improve their services for parents and expectant parents and how they could refer parents MumSpace.
Please contact Claire Arkwright for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or on call her on 07908 908 757.
Please contact Josephine Namusisi-Riley, Project Manager on 07377 368 419 or email email@example.com