Leeds Citizens is an alliance of faith, education and community organisations, working together for the common good of Leeds. We exist to build the power of ordinary people, so they can take action for social justice, win change and build relationships across diverse communities. We use Community Organising to help people of all ages run exciting campaigns that get decision makers to listen and act on the issue that matter to them.
Since our launch in 2015, we have run listening campaigns to identify the major challenges faced by people in Leeds and equipped hundreds of ordinary people with the skills to take positive social action. Bringing together people from a variety of ages, faiths and backgrounds we have had several campaign successes, including:
- Pay rises for the lowest paid staff at Leeds City Council and other employers
- Developing culturally sensitive dementia services for BME elderly people
- Reduced bus fares for 16-18 year olds
- New mental health liaison practitioners in GP surgeries
- Over half a million pounds of housing estate repairs and improved rubbish collections
- Local road safety improvements
If you have a passion for social justice and are keen to work alongside other communities, please get in touch to find out how your community can join Leeds Citizens. You can also sign up for regular updates from Leeds Citizens here.